Thursday, January 22, 2009

Homemade Sensory Tub

Colored Rice

Ahhh, the wonders of the Internet....

I have been looking around getting activity ideas for Katelynn and came across the sensory table/tub. My husband and I have 3 teenage boys. The youngest being 14. I don't remember sensory tables back when they were small! I am sure they had them, maybe they were called something else, who knows!

Anyway, these tables are very expensive from what I see. With me staying home and only having the one income...I have learned to become CHEAP!

Since Katelynn is only 20 months and is really a little young for such a thing, I decided that I would "make" her a homemade sensory tub. I plan to get a shallow Rubbermaid type container to use, but for now, I am just using a bowl to introduce her to the idea.

I did find a list of some neat things to use and for now, I am going with rice. I even colored the rice with food coloring. It was really fun! She LOVES it! She has only eaten about 3 or 4 pieces of rice to date, but at least it IS edible. Also, she is really very good about keeping the rice in the bowl. The only "disaster" we had was when I gave her a funnel to play with. Of course, she didn't keep it over the bowl when she filled it with rice. I have decided to wait on the funnel for a while to keep my vacuum cleaner from blowing up!

Here is how I colored the rice....



You will need...

  • Rice
  • Vinegar
  • Food Coloring
  • Sandwich Bags

1. Put a handful of rice (about a cup) in each sandwich bag. (I made 5 bags of rice total).

2. Add one Tbsp. of vinegar to each bag.

3. Add 3 drop of desired food coloring to each bag.

4. Mix thoroughly until all the rice is colored.

5. Let sit about 30 min. for color to soak in. Turn bag occasionally.

6. Spread on cookie sheet and Bake at 200 degrees for 45 min.

7. Let cool and store in a tight container.

Since I have just made mine, I am not sure how long it will last. I read that it will last for a LONG time (or until it gradually disappears). Also, it does not leave any color on Katie's hands. That's a good thing.

Short List of Sensory Tub Ideas:

(The ideas are endless)

· Colored rice
· Colored pasta
· Popcorn – popped or kernels
· Sand – wet or dry
· Styrofoam peanuts
· Shredded paper
· Aquarium rocks
· Cedar chips
· Cotton balls
· Plastic flowers
· Dry beans
· Pom-poms
· Feathers
· Cool whip

Don’t forget all the gadgets (scoops, funnels, sand toys, tongs, tweezers, spoons, whisks, turkey basters, bottles, etc.)

You can also have a water based table, too!

*Remember to watch little ones and choking hazards

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment